International Day of Yoga 2019: 10 interesting facts about yoga which can make you take up the practice!
Yoga is an archaic physical, mental, and spiritual practice which has its roots in India. “Yoga” is a Sanskrit term which means unite or to join, which represents the connection between the body and consciousness.
The inception of International Day of Yoga was in 11th December 2014 when the Indian Prime Minister, Narendra Modi initiated the idea to the United Nations (UN). This day is characterized by awareness campaigns and programs directed at informing people about the holistic advantages of practicing yoga.
The UN resolution 69/131, which established the International Day of Yoga, was presented by the then UN Ambassador to the UN for India, Asoke Mukerji with a massive 177 countries supporting the decision as co-sponsors. According to news reports, this is the highest number of co-sponsors for a resolution in the General Assembly of the UN.
Every year, the International Day of Yoga celebrates different themes. In 2019, the focus is on Climate Action, emphasizing on the importance of taking productive steps against global warming.
On the eve of International Day of Yoga, here are 10 fascinating facts about the practice to motivate you further if you are already practicing yoga, or get you started:
- Yoga, if done diligently, can relieve one of arthritis. One should always take note of the body postures during the practice so that they can change them according to their requirements
- It is believed that there are 8 energy centers in the human body, which are called “chakras.” We take in the cosmic energy via these 8 chakras. Practicing yoga can help one purify these chakras and allow positive energy to reside in the body
- According to various studies, yoga can improve the immune system by positively affecting the genetic system
- Yoga can help reduce the habit of overeating. Researches have shown that the practice can make a person more aware of their physical and emotional connection with eating
- Practicing yoga can result in better personal and professional relationships. When the mind is calm and relaxed, one can manage relationships more efficiently
- In 2002, New York, Doga (Yoga with dogs) was introduced. This helped people to establish a positive and close relationship with their pet dogs
- Studies state that practicing yoga can help people suffering from mental health issues such as depression, and schizophrenia
- Yoga can increase fertility by enhancing the endocrine activities of the ovaries and testes. Thus, it is often recommended to couples who are trying to conceive a child
- Want to beat a bad hangover after a night of intense partying? Yoga is your answer. Some postures such as the shoulder stand, fish, and plow affect the thyroid gland leading to the hangover getting over quickly
- Yoga can help people who have insomnia get some much needed sound sleep. A study by Harvard Medical School has revealed that daily practice for 8 weeks will result in good sleep
On International Day of Yoga 2019, Medikabazaar is providing you with the required products like yoga mats at the best prices to improve your performance or take your first step.
Get quality yoga mats, resistance bands and more at Medikabazaar!