World Asthma Day 2019: The Causes, Consequences, and Prevention
World Asthma Day is celebrated every year on 7th May, which is dedicated towards creating more awareness about the disease, its reasons, consequences, and treatment. This day is organized by the Global Initiative For Asthma (GINA) where a theme is chosen to signify certain particular aspects of asthma to the people.
The theme for 2019 is STOP Asthma where the former is an abbreviation of Symptom evaluation, Test response, Observe and assess, and proceed to adjust treatment.
The first World Asthma Day was recognized in 1998 where 35 nations all across the world in a meeting which took place in Barcelona, Spain. Therefore on this day let’s go rewind some of the pivotal facets of asthma which are important for us to know.
Why does it happen?
Asthma happens when the airways in the body narrow down and are filled with more mucous making it hard to breathe. Some of the main reasons for asthma are as follows:
- Aerial elements such as pollen, mold spores, dust mites, and fragments of cockroach wastes
- Common cold and respiratory diseases
- Emotional and other stressful situations
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- Consumption of medicines such as Ibuprofen, Aspirin, and Naproxen
- Cold air
The symptoms are different for each. Some of them are as follows:
- Short of breath
- Coughing and wheezing
- Chest pain and tightness
- A sound of whistling when breathing out
For some, symptoms of asthma aggravate during certain situations. They are:
- Asthma at workplaces which occurs due to various gases, and dust particles
- Asthma due to exercise which can worsen with cold air
- Asthma caused by airborne particles such as mold spores, dried saliva pieces, and pollen
- Vaccinations for pneumonia and influenza is important which will reduce the chances of getting asthma
- Stay dedicated to the asthma plan as directed by the doctor
- Notice the asthma triggering elements and try to avoid them as much as possible
- Notice the symptoms early and immediately seek treatment
- If the usage of the inhaler is increasing overtime, it might mean that the asthma is not under curbed. See a doctor as soon as possible to review this and take the appropriate measures
On World Asthma Day, Medikabazaar pledges to work towards stopping the disease by providing the best supplies to doctors and hospitals who working tirelessly towards the same. Buy a wide range of top-grade consumables, disposables, preventive kits, and more from Medikabazaar.