World Arthritis Day 2019: All you need to know about disease affecting millions around the world
According to Arthritis-India, around 15% of the population (approx. 180 million people) suffer from arthritis in the country. Arthritis in medical terminology, means joint pains and/or joint disorders. The disease affects people of all ages with symptoms lasting either for a short period of time or ending up being chronic in nature. It a widespread disease in India with a higher prevalence rate than AIDS, cancer, and diabetes.
There are different forms of arthritis. Here are some of them:
- Inflammatory Arthritis:This condition has an adverse effect on the joints. One can feel severe pain, swelling, and stiffness in the joints. This type of arthritis injures the surface of the joints along with the bones underneath.
- Osteoarthritis:This condition directly affects the tendons, bones, cartilages of the joints which then results in stiffness and inflammation. The areas where osteoarthritis affects the most include the hips, hands, knees, spine, and below the thumb - areas which undergo the most amount of activity.
- Gout: This type of arthritis happens when there is a high concentration of uric acid crystals in the body fluids and tissues. A person with gout experiences an extreme pain in the joints and the area looks red and swollen.
- Septic Arthritis:This condition is the result of fungal, bacterial, or viral infections. It normally affects the hips and knees where micro-organisms infect the blood which then leads to inflammation in the joints. This condition often comes with fever and the person feeling cold.
There are different causes of arthritis. Although the central reason for the disease is the wearing out of the cartilages, some other important reasons are listed below.
- Extreme physical activity
- Inherited genes (in the case of osteoarthritis)
- Abnormal metabolism (in the case of gout)
- Injuries (in the case of degenerative arthritis)
World Arthritis Day, which is recognized every year on 12 October is aimed at creating awareness about the perils of the disease and how one can take the necessary steps to diagnose and cure it. Medikabazaar on 12 October 2019 will be providing the best quality products which are essential towards treating the affliction.
Get heat therapy units, knee wraps and more from 12-18 October on Medikabazaar!