World Osteoporosis Day 2019:All you need to know about the prevalent bone disease
The meaning of the word Osteoporosis is “porous bone.” The condition is a bone disease which is the result of the body not being able to construct the adequate amount of bones or if it loses more bones than necessary. Osteoporotic bones have less density and an anomalous tissue framework,making them prone to breaking easily under minimal pressure from a minor fall, or even sneezing.
The disease doesn’t showcase any symptoms at an early stage. However, after some time when they are adversely affected by osteoporosis,the following symptoms can be seen:
- Bent posture
- Lack of height
- Back pain as a result of broken vertebrae
- Bones which breaks easily
There are certain factors as to why the disease occurs. They are as follows:
- It happens to the ones who have a chronic calcium deficiency as they have low bone density
- Eating disorders are another reason as being underweight can lead to weak bones in both males and females
- Low sex hormones for both sexes can lead to weakened bones
- A high-strung thyroid can result in bone erosion. If a person consumes the thyroid hormone over the prescribed limit,it can result in the same
- Osteoporosis can occur as a result of consuming medications which are used to diagnose the following:
- Rejected transplant
- Gastric reflux
The diagnosis and treatment of osteoporosis is based on how likely the bones are to break in approximately 10 years. This information is gained from the bone density test. If the result says that the risk is low, then medications are not prescribed. Instead, the diagnosis will focus on how the risk can be lowered non-medically.
However if the risk is high, some of the following treatments are taken:
- The patients are prescribed Biophosphonates which is a type of drug given to counterlow bone density. Some of the common types of biophosphonates are Alendronate, Risedronate, Ibandronate, and Zoledronic acid
- There are various bone-building medications which are also prescribed. Some of them are Teriparatide, Abaloparatide, and Romosozumab
- Apart from medical treatments, one can resort to certain home remedies which can prevent osteoporosis. They are as follows:
- Avoid smoking
- No excessive consumption of alcohol
- Create an environment which reduces the chances of falling
World Osteoporosis Day is recognized every year on the 20th October every year to make people aware about the disease and what steps should societal, governmental institutions, and organizations must take to prevent, diagnose and cure the same. At Medikabazaar, we are extending our support to the Indian healthcare facilities and centers by providing the best medical products required to counter the disease which causes more than 8.9 million fractures yearly around the world.